Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Love and choice

Years ago, when I was a teenager, I watched a movie called If These Walls Could Talk. It recounted three different women in three different generations making decisions about pregnancy and abortion. I can’t remember much about the movie but I do remember the scenes about old-school illegal abortions. It was awful.
I don’t doubt that those procedures were much worse than those that occur today, but nevertheless, even with her forewarning, I still found chapter 5 of Best’s book quite shocking. In this chapter, she outlines the different methods of abortion that are available. It is not dramatised. Her style is medical and straightforward. Her discussion of the possible physical and mental consequences of abortion made me want to read Melinda Tankard-Reist’s book Giving Sorrow Words, although at the same time the sheer weight and grief of the topic makes me hesitant. I wonder if its one of those things that for the sake of love, we just need to keep thinking and reading about this topic.
Best goes on to discuss why women consider aborting. She explains how even those women who think abortion is wrong, even women who are evangelical Christians, have abortions because they feel they have no other choice. This means it is so crucial for friends and churches to provide support, so that the choices can reappear in view.
There are many helpful things in the rest of the book. These include Best’s advice to pregnant women on working out whether to get married, and her discussion on what’s involved in adoption. Overall, I was struck again and again by the need to be ready to help and support when needed.
To finish up, a word for anyone out there facing these very difficult decisions for themselves... I can’t imagine how hard it must be or how trapped and scared you may feel. But here are some words from a woman I know who found herself in a similar situation, I hope in some small way they help:
My advice and encouragement to other ladies who might be facing the challenge of unexpected pregnancy is that every child is a gift from God. Our little boy is nearly 5 now, and he is a gorgeous angel with a gentle and loving personality. We are witnessing the way his faith is growing and the desire he has to follow Jesus. I strongly believe that God can turn something which we often see as a challenge or a failure into blessings for us and others, as we keep on focus on Him and seek His will and guidance as we deal with the challenge and face the consequences.

Amen & Amen.

No comments: