Monday, July 27, 2009

The last letter

Dear Naomi,

Well now, I’m not sure you did answer my questions. At least, you definitely didn’t give the details I wanted. But then I see that for the moment (this season, perhaps?) you need to hold onto what is the same, rather that what is different. And upon further reflection I think this is best. What would I have done with the details but compare myself with you? Better for me to carefully and prayerfully think through those things for myself.

At the end of your book you consider the ‘season right now’; unsure how it will turn out but confident in God’s sovereignty and purposes. This has been particularly helpful for me in my ‘season right now’.

Firstly, these words from Ephesians (much like your quote from de Cassaud),

“And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfilment — to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.” (Ephesians 1:9-10)
have encouraged me to lift my eyes to heaven and remember that it’s not about me. As much as I am part of it and although my God who loves me has marked out my days (Psalms 139:16) and directs my steps (Proverbs 16:9), it isn’t about me. It’s about him, about Christ. Everything is working towards that day when he will be revealed in all his glory and every knee will bow before him.

And secondly, until then, God’s will for me is that I honour, love and live under that one head, Christ; that I be sanctified, holy and pure (1 Thessalonians 4:3-8); and that I am joyful, prayerful and thankful (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). And so my decision not to speak maliciously to my husband this morning is as important as my decision to marry him; loving a work colleague as important as whether I am a missionary in Vanuatu or a hairdresser in Vaucluse; (and here’s the pertinent one right now) … training my children in righteousness as important as how many I have — or when I have them.

And so, here I am, trusting in a loving, faithful and sovereign God. Come what may.

With love and in gratitude for being able to walk a while with you,
Rachael.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Thank you Rachael for this series. It's been very encouraging to me!