Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Introduction to Andrew Cameron's 'Joined-up Life'

This is exactly the kind of book I would never choose to read (no offense, Andrew),
Reason # 1: It’s thick (at least thickish in my opinion @ 317p given I'm not a huge reader)
Reason # 2: It’s on ethics 
In my head:
Ethics = secular humanism x dry/boring
‘I don’t need a book on ethics – I’ve got the Bible!’
However, just starting to read this book, my view is starting to change. Reading this book is helping pull ‘ethics’ off my shelf of irrelevancies, dust it off and give it some blood & guts. The kind of blood & guts that might actually make ethics helpful in my day-to-day life. The kind that of blood & guts that will point me to Jesus and make me love him more.
Here’s an example of what I mean:
Reading Part 2 (‘Unawareness’) made me aware that I’m not an ethical island – standing simply on biblical truths (or even sinful lies) in my decision-making. Rather there are lots of subtle, but strong undercurrents tugging me around…desires, the tug to belong, etc.
The trouble is how do I slow my life down and gain the kind of self-awareness that will help me see these currents and see if they are flowing to Christ 
So this is my prayer…that our love may abound more and more with knowledge and all discernment, so that we may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory & praise of God. (Philippians 1:9-10)
NEXT WEEK: The Hunt for the Virtuous Woman. We’ll be following the author’s advice and picking out connected chapters to read, namely chapters 5 & 31.

About our contributor: Annabel loves living in Surry Hills with her new husband Simon & being equipped to teach Christ as she and Simon study at Moore College Newtown. Otherwise she gets frustrated by how easily she loses things and loves trying new recipes and the occasional crafty exploit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So funny, because it sounds like exactly the kind of book I'd WANT to read. Thanks for reminder to steal it off Dave's shelf and start reading.
Louise