Tuesday, June 1, 2010

God is Enough - Pt1

Ray Galea is the senior minister of St Alban's Multicultural Bible Ministry (MBM) in Rooty Hill, Sydney. Ray is married to the lovely Sandy, has three great kids, and enjoys eating Middle Eastern food, listening to Bob Dylan, and watching films set in New York. When I caught up with Ray, I asked him a few questions about his latest book, God is Enough.

Why did you write this book?
I love the Psalms and I love the way they wrap theological truths in a poetic and worshipful framework. If I was in a burning building and was only able to take one book of the Old Testament with me as I escaped, it would be the Psalms. We can find everything we need to know for life and godliness within their pages. Ultimately though, I wrote this book as much for myself as for anyone else. I needed to hear it.

If there was only one thing that people got out of this book, what would that be?
That we can all say with the psalmist, "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you". It is my hope that we would keep on fighting to make this prayer our prayer.

I'm personally looking forward to reading this book very much! I had the great joy of sitting under Ray's teaching at MBM for a number of years and, in that time, was struck by his honesty and sense of humour, his love for his people and passion for Jesus. I know him to be a man of great theological understanding yet one who has a wonderful gift for making complex truths simple. That's what makes him such a good teacher!

The topic of the book really appeals to me as well. As soon as I saw it I thought, I really want to read that! Why? Well I suspect it's because even though I'd like to think I always subscribe to the belief that God is enough, all too often I don't. I seek after other things hoping that they will make me truly fulfilled. So I'm looking forward to being refreshed, and reminded once more by the Psalms, that God is indeed enough.

No comments: