Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What's coming up: John Piper When I Don't Desire God

I'm going to ask you a question. When I ask it, close your eyes and see what pops into your head. Are you ready? Here's my question:

What brings you joy?

What did you think of? Was it a relationship, a walk along the beach, or a favourite hobby? When I asked the women in my Bible study this question, the answers were as varied as "words", "God's creation", "watching my daughter learn something new". You might like to share your responses in the comments.

My guess is that most of us long to feel this same kind of joy in God. We know we should rejoice in God, but we're not sure how that feels, or how to go about it. Which is where John Piper comes in. Have you ever noticed how all his books are variations on a theme? A wonderful theme, and one he's devoted his life to unfolding:

God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.

We would love to glorify God by finding our highest joy in him. But if you're anything like me, rejoicing in God doesn't come easily. I struggle with worry, irritability, discouragement and sluggish reluctance. Days and even weeks go by when I feel flat and listless. Often, I don't even desire God, let alone delight in God.

John Piper's When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy is written for times like these. It doesn't just tell us that joy in God is good, it tells us how to fight for joy. I love the second half of the book, where Piper gives us weapons for the fight. He talks about preaching the gospel to ourselves, meditating on the Bible and praying, using creation and our bodies in the fight for joy, and responding to depression.

Sound worth reading? I think so! There's still time: why not grab a copy of When I Don't Desire God (just click on the book cover to the right) and read along with us during November as we learn how to fight for joy.

No comments: