Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Meet Nicole Starling

Nicole Starling will be contributing our notes for October on Treasuring God in our Traditions, so I thought we'd ask her a few more questions to get to know some more about her.

Favourite book you've read in 2009?

I'm going to cheat and choose a few!

My favourite novel of the year would definitely be The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Schaffer. Set in Guernsey during WWII, the story is told entirely through letters between the various characters. It was a real 'page turner', and I loved it.

As for a Christian book though, I would have to say You Can Change by Tim Chester. Reading that helped me see many of the more 'hidden' sins in my life that I had been unaware of and gave me fresh hope that God will continue to change me.

I also loved reading No Ordinary View by Naomi Reed. I was encouraged by her willingness to serve Jesus in a country that was not only gripped by poverty, but was also in the midst of a civil war at the time.

And my 4 year old daughter Rebecca and I read Peter Pan and Wendy by JM Barrie earlier in the year. It was the first time I had read it and we both loved it!

Favourite new author you've discovered over the last 12 months?

Probably Mary Ann Schaffer. Sadly, she died shortly after completing this book, so there won't be any more where The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society came from.

Who have been your role models of Christian womanhood?

Well, definitely my mum. I have been very blessed in being given a wonderful mum who became a Christian when I was 6, and since then has modelled how to live as a Christian woman.

Also Sarah Edwards (from afar!) and some of the great Scripture teachers and Sunday school teachers and friends' mums from the country Baptist churches that I grew up in.

Favourite traditions growing up?

Saturday morning pancakes (we picked that one up when we lived in America for six months)
Sunday lunches in Machattie Park (when we lived in Bathurst)
Going to the cricket once a year with Dad
Reading How The Grinch Stole Christmas on Christmas Eve.

No comments: