Thursday, July 9, 2009

EQUIP Ministry Wives 2009 - Beyond Success

Being married to someone in full time ministry is a privilege and a joy. But it is a privilege that comes with difficulties and challenges that are quite specific to the role. As I wrote last year, after the first EQUIP Ministry Wives Conference:
This coming January, it will be 10 years since I married Dave and became a 'ministry wife'. Early on, I was told over and over again that being married to a man in ministry is no different from being married to someone in any other job. He had his work, I had mine, and his job should have no impact on my life. I soon worked out that Dave's work certainly did have an impact on my life in a way that wouldn't have happened if he had still been a high school teacher. But as to what my own role was, and how to be a 'ministry wife' - I had no idea!

The fact that 400 women turned up to the first EQUIP ministry wives conference last Saturday suggests that I haven't been alone in these feelings of confusion and need for encouragement. It was a wonderful day and I wish I'd heard the talks 10 years ago!
I found last year's conference a tremendous encouragement, particularly Carmelina's talk on '10 Ways to Discourage Your Husband in Ministry'. This year, the theme of the day is 'Beyond Success' . The speakers include Phillip Jensen and Cathy Smith. Kent and Barbara Hughes, authors of Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome, are speaking via video and I am especially looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

You can find out more information and register at the EQUIP website.


No comments: