Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Esther - Who knows? (by Nicole)

I had a great time at the conference on Saturday. Here is a post based on what I said in the interview with Ruth on the day (with a bit added in!).

As I've re-read Esther and listened to the talks at EQUIP on Saturday, I’ve found myself feeling quite excited by the invisible way God's providence works.

The book of Esther has all these subtle reminders that God is working in all the details of our lives. But Esther herself couldn’t have possibly known how God was going to orchestrate the details. She just has the general truth about God's sovereignty and and his covenant with Israel, and the "Who knows?" question about the particular purposes God may have for the circumstances he has put her in. So Mordecai says: "And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" (Esther 4:14).

This reminds me that every day is a day that God is at work in my life and it may be a day that is freighted with enormous eternal consequences!

It may be that the word I speak when I muster up the courage at the school gate in the afternoon might save a whole family. It may not - but maybe it will. I might be teaching the next Billy Graham in my Sunday school class. I may not – but I might be! "Who knows?"

As it happens, my mum was at EQUIP too, sitting next to a woman who had a great deal to do with my mum and dad turning to Christ. She was a Christian school friend of my mum, who later shared a flat with her at teachers' college. Through countless little actions and words this friend showed what a difference Jesus made in her life. Her friend has no recollection of the actions and words that made such an impression on my mum and dad. She was just honouring God, where he placed her - and he used her in the salvation of my family. Isn't that amazing?

The way that God can use us in his bigger plans is incredibly exciting. It’s also liberating to know that I don’t need to worry about how God will work through me.

My job is to trust God, to be courageous for the gospel, to be loyal to Jesus, to be wise with the wisdom that God gives - to get out of bed in the morning and honour God in whatever he puts in front of me.

And in eternity I will get to look back and realise what God was accomplishing through it all.

Esther and Mordecai, Aert de Gelder, from Wikipedia Commons


No comments: