Wednesday, July 30, 2008

This month's author - Noel Piper

We didn't manage to get our own interview with this month's author, Noel Piper, but as it happens there are quite a few other interviews with her that are already floating around in cyberspace. The bloggers at girltalk recently carried out a three part interview with her. You can read a bit about her background, her family, favourite books and pastimes in the Introduction. And here's what she had to say when asked about the benefits of studying biographies like Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God.

"Hebrews 13:1-6 admonishes us to live godly lives and reminds us that God is our helper. Then verse 7 tells us one way that God helps us: Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith. The writer of Hebrews tells us to look toward those who have gone before us in the faith, to listen to what they say about God and to look at the way they lived and to imitate their faith.

No one’s life is exactly like mine. And some lives seem too different to be of interest or use. But, when you consider a life, you discover similar emotions, fears, needs. For instance, I’m not afraid of imprisonment, but when I read about Esther Ahn Kim’s fear, I’m reminded how to deal with the things I AM afraid of.

I think that’s the point of the very next verse, Hebrews 13:8 -- Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever.

My life is not exactly the same as any other person’s, but when I look at someone else’s life in a biography, it’s not ultimately her life I want to see. I want to see her Jesus, who is the same yesterday, today and forever."

If you want to learn more about Noel's life, ministry, interests and other books, I recommend reading the whole interview. Here are the links:

Introduction
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

You can also listen to an interview with her about this book on the radio program, Crosstalk as well.

No comments: